DIMENSIONS OF GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
1. Physical growth and development: It refers to strengthening of body and muscles with better proficiency and coordination of motor organs, if a person is able to do heavy work with ease, if he is able to do the task in lesser time, if he is able to do the task with accuracy and if he is able to do the task with neatness and beauty. then it is said that physical growth and development of the person is satisfactory.
2. Social growth and development : It refers to improvement and refinement of behaviour of an individual in social situations. If a person is stable in his behaviour even in adverse situations, if the behaviour of the person is fully acceptable to the society and if he is able to influence the society by his behaviour, then it is said that the social growth and development of the person is satisfactory.
3. Emotional growth and development . It refers to the accuracy of responses that an individual will exhibit under the influence of his emotions. These exhibited responses will be real as well. For example, if anger is not exhibited at the abuse given by any other person, it means that emotional growth and development is not satisfactory. Expressing sorrow at losses but not so much sorrow as it is beyond control is emotional maturity. If a person gets angry at his insult controls his anger according to the situation, then it is said that his emotional growth and development is satisfactory. Same is the case with other emotions also.
4. Intellectual growth and development: It refers to the ability to draw out conclusion from jumbled informations and to apply the inferences to real life situations in order to make the life happy and meaningful. If a person normally does what he is expected to do, if he is able to mould the situation in his own favour, if he is able to manipulate the situation against the other and if he is not backward in any way in mental operations, then it is said that his mental growth and development is satisfactory.
5. Language growth and development : Language is means of expressing, thinking and action. Had we not been given this power, we would not have been able to interact with others and our social existence was not possible. Language may be verbal and non verbal both. Human being uses both types of languages at a time to inform others about his thinking and behaviour and to be informed about their thinking and behaviour. Thus, language development refers to the ability of a person to convince the people what he thinks right.